Monday 20 August 2007

Day 10 - York

Behold! Ye Olde Town of York!

I arrived in the early afternoon, and it didn't take me much time to see all the center of the town, walk the walls (most of the medieval walls are still standing and are free and walkable), see Clifford's Tower and the Minster (on the outside, of course) and take a stroll through the Shambles and the other small streets.

Quite cute. I felt it wouldn't be a waste of time if I stayed here the following unbooked night. I had to decide between staying another night or trying my luck in Edinburgh, where the city was packed full, and I could book no hostels, guest houses or undersides of bridges to sleep.

When night came, after a nice long chat with my room-mates, I went down to the bar of the hostel ("the Dungeon", and very aptly named) with a good pint on my mind.

In the end it was three of them, in the unbeatable company of two Aussies, an Englishman, a Spaniard, a Yank, a South African and many stories. Thus I celebrated my birthday.

No comments: